If you are considering earning, let’s say, your diploma of events from an online college, you should be aware that just like there are legitimate online colleges, there are also college scams that offer faked diplomas in order to take advantage of students who want to learn online but don’t know how to recognize the scams. So what you can do to avoid these degree scams and obtain a legitimate diploma of events online?
Types of Degree Scams
Examples of degree scams include accreditation mills, diploma mills, and life experience degrees.
- Accreditation Mills – organizations who supposedly provide higher ed accreditation to diploma mills that pay them for their services. However, they cannot ensure authentic higher ed accreditation because they are not recognized by the Australian government.
- Diploma Mills – fake schools that sell fake diplomas. They are unaccredited by legitimate accrediting agencies and are in some cases supported by accreditation mills. The two most common types of diplomas mills that fake schools provide are diploma mills that completely sell degrees for cash and diploma mills that pretend to be a real school.
- Life Experience Degrees – While you may be able to get a certain amount of credits, for example, for professional certifications or licenses, that might add up to a few classes, but you cannot obtain entire degrees based on ‘life experience’. Hence, if an organization affirm that you can earn a diploma based on your prior life experience, do not provide them any personal or credit card information.
Signs of Higher Ed Scammers or Fake Degree Mills
- The website has no contact phone number.
- The school’s address is non-existing or a P.O. Box.
- Tuition cost is a flat rate for a degree, instead of per class or per credit hour.
- Excellent claims.
- Little or no interaction with professors.
- Names that sound similar to legit universities.
- Degrees offered in no time, for example in 30 days.
- Online sites, forums and blogs say negative things about the ‘school’.
- Offers entire degrees based on life experience.
- Discounts are available for enrolling in multiple degree programs.
- The ‘school’ has no .edu internet address.
- Only require a credit card to ‘get in’.
- The degree can be earned by faxing your resume to the ‘school’.
- The ‘school’ is in another country.
The consequences of earning a fake diploma of events online may be crucial. You could lose your job if your boss finds out that your degree in events isn’t legit, or you could set yourself up for credit identity theft and even face fines.